Tuesday, August 7, 2012

And So It Begins.

Yesterday and today were my first two days of school. As much as I'd like to rave about how exciting everything was, I have to admit that at times it was downright boring. We have been filling out forms and listening to mundane lecture topics such as fire safety or protective gear explanations.
For example, if the building catches fire, please leave; crispy vet students are not happy vet students. Also, wear the required steel-toed boots so an ornery horse doesn't get the best of your toes. The whole thing reeks of common sense.

On the bright side, my classmates seem like a genuinely friendly group. Meeting people has been exciting especially with all of the different nationalities, academic backgrounds, and professional interests. Of course, the class is undeniably female dominated. Believe it or not, there are only 6 guys in the entire GEP class! I can't decide if this is good or bad for them. For the time being, I would guess it's a bit overwhelming since three of them hide together in the back of the classroom...

Bit of a recap: we all met last Sunday at a school event. It was surprising to see how quickly people fell into groups/cliques. I have not met everyone yet but that won't last; with only 56 people in a class, you can't hide for long.

Yesterday, some 4th and 5th year students invited us to meet them at a place called, "The Ale House." Encouraged to work hard and play hard by the faculty, we took over the entire pub, drinking and socialising (on a school night? *gasp). I could get used to this...

<=Typical UK vet student*


Tonight, I decided to go all out and study my first lectures ahead of time. I want to be extra prepared for my first real classes tomorrow: Animal Body 1, Animal Health, Welfare and Food Safety (AHWAFS), and Terminology. Yup. I'm nerdy and I know it.

Random bit: The head of our school asked if we knew what Chariots of Fire was and without thinking, I found myself humming the song to a room of silent students. Ya. First impressions anyone?


No comments:

Post a Comment