Thursday, May 17, 2012

And the countdown begins!

After years of chugging away at farms, hospitals, shelters, and dealing with grumpy organic chemistry teachers, I am finally going to vet school! So it's not a Hogwarts letter (yes. I am a Harry Potter geek to the max) but it's pretty damn close if you ask me. Think of it as care of magical creatures, ya? I may have scared my housemates with a bit strangled squealing upon receiving my acceptance letter. I'm also pretty sure I frolicked (yes. Frolicked) to class for about a week.

Here's a bit of a recap for those of you who don't know me: I had two dreams growing up: to become a vet and to travel. So as soon as I was ready, I applied to vet schools abroad; two birds one stone. After applying to vet schools in England, New Zealand, Scotland, and Davis (as per my Dad's request...) I was fortunate enough to have my pick! My dad paid for me to go visit the schools in the UK (Love you Dad!) and I couldn't have had a more wonderful trip. Though I loved Glasgow (looks like Hogwarts and James Herriot's alma mater!) and RVC (London... need I say more?), Edinburgh was the clear winner.

The school facilities and equipment were breathtaking. Millions upon millions of pounds were put into building a new teaching building and filling it with top-notch equipment. The large animal facilities as well as the small animal hospital (with its own cancer center!) are also exceptional. Edinburgh University has had some spectacular alumni (Darwin?! Hell. Yes.) and has made countless contributions to the modern world of science. Ever heard of Dolly the sheep? Yup. That's where she's from. In addition to having a prestigious vet school, Edinburgh is such a beautiful city. It has the culture and entertainment of a much bigger city but is still small enough to feel personal and intimate. I will be surrounded by mountains, castles, lochs, the ocean, Highland greenery, and most importantly Arthur's Seat, my favorite spot thus far. Needless to say, I was instantly smitten.

So now my deposit has been paid (ouch) and now begins the steps towards financial aid/ruin and acquiring a Tier 4 Visa. V. stressful business but absolutely worth it! Thanks to some current students I met on the Student Doctor Network (a pre-vet student's bff), I have found temporary housing for myself and my friend/classmate from undergrad (we're crossing the pond together, YAY!). Now I just have to graduate (*le sigh), spend time with family/friends/pets (so much love so little time), and figure out a way to stop staring at my calendar (less than 8 weeks until I am living in Scotland!).

Here are a few quick pictures of the new teaching building:


And a few of Arthur's Seat:


And the view from Arthur's Seat:





 

4 comments:

  1. This is spectacular! I cannot wait to hear all your stories! I'm sure this will be one of my favorite blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll try to keep it interesting! :)

      Delete
    2. LOL... that one was from me back in May... not sure if you knew that... didn't realize it came up with that name hahaa... I changed it now - Mel S.

      Delete
    3. Lol. Aww Mel. I had no idea who you were but I was flattered all the same. Thanks for reading up on me. :) <3

      Delete